Onsite SJLC Activites Suspended Through May
In response to the ongoing public health situation, all onsite worship services, Bible studies, meetings, and activities have been suspended at St. John’s at least through Friday, April 3. Please know that this date may change as circumstances warrant!
ESL classes follow Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS), so the remainder of the current semester may have to be cancelled. The special congregational voters meeting that was to take place on Sunday, March 15 will be re-scheduled at a date to be announced. Please watch for more information about this. The church office will remain open.
During this time when our onsite worship services are suspended, you are encouraged to worship at home. Here are some ways for you to do so:
- Live Worship Service – A live, online worship service will take place on Sundays at 10:00AM and Wednesdays at Noon through this time of Lent. This is the same format that we’ve used with different Bible studies and discussions. You don’t have to be on Facebook to participate, just access to the Internet - go to https://www.facebook.com/StJohnsAlexandria/live/ for live and archived services. We will use the appointed Scripture lessons for each week, and there will be the sermon and prayers. Printable PDF bulletins are available here for use in worship.
- Holy Communion is available at St. John's on Sundays and weekdays. Out of an abundance of care, we are limited to eight (8) or fewer communicants. RSVP here via SignUp.com for available timeslots.
- Lenten Devotions – Our Midweek Lenten worship services will be held online each Wednesday at Noon. Please also take advantage of having your own devotions at home. The online version of our Lenten daily devotional book through Lutheran Hour Ministries is available at https://www.lhm.org/lent/.
- Sermons – Sermons are available online here on our website.
- Prayer Requests – St. John’s website already has a portal to receive prayer requests. Go to https://sjlc.ccbchurch.com/goto/forms/67/responses/new, and type in your request. This will go directly to St. John’s Prayer Team where your prayer will be lifted up to our Father in heaven.
- Financial Contributions – This may be a time of financial uncertainty for some with disruptions in employment. If you have a need because of this, please know that St. John’s has a Helping Hands Fund to assist members at such a time. Please contact either pastor about this. Thank you, members and friends of St. John’s, for your faithful contributions to ministry and mission. During these next two weeks, offerings may be sent to church via the mail. This might also be a good time to consider electronic contributions already available through our church’s website at https://sjlc.ccbchurch.com/goto/giving. If you’d like to consider ongoing electronic contributions, please contact Terri Robbins, St. John’s Financial Administrator (email@example.com), or Angie Stiens, St. John’s Minister of Finance (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Joining Jesus on His Mission – In the midst of the coronavirus, please be on the lookout for how you can be of help and service to your neighbor. We don’t want anyone to put themselves at risk, but if there is an opportunity to render aid and assistance in Jesus’ Name to someone in need, that would be a huge blessing, especially now. We're looking to get an online Missional Community or two up and running, so check back here for updates.
May the Lord Jesus Christ bestow every good thing from His hand upon our communities, our nation, and our world.
For more information, please consult the following resources: